Your mental state is very important when it comes to running. Besides all the physical training you put your body through you also have to train your mind to be mentally strong. So I always add mental strengthening in my training which led me to a bunch of running mantras that I read before a race. Here are some of them:
- Fall in love with the journey and every mile will be a magical one.
- If you quit now….. you’ll end up right where you first began and when you first began, you were desperate to be where you are right now. KEEP GOING!
- Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
- Run the mile you are in.
- You gotta make you the reason you’re doing these amazing things.
- Surround yourself with people that will get you there!
- What if I can fulfill something no one thought I could?
- There’s a winner inside of you.
- Never let your weakness destroy your greatness.
- Everything you need is inside you!
- Start telling yourself the right story: I will get through this! I will find my way!
- Don’t just go through it, Grow through it!
- Meet your goal at the finish!
- The bling is at the finish!
- It’s always too early to quit!
- Your only limit is YOU!
- When your legs can’t run anymore, run with your heart.
- I rather try and fail than not try at all.
- You’ll never be able to fix what’s behind you! You gotta run for what’s in front of you.
- Remember why you started <3
A little bonus here is the word “Stay”! This simple word help me through Chicago Marathon. Every time I’m about to give up or I’m starting to think negative thoughts I remember the word “stay”. It just means staying in the moment, take things one step at a time and don’t worry so much what you can and cannot do. Worrying just makes your mind more tired and reminding yourself to stay in the moment lessens your worry. 🙂